Child and Adult Care Food Program

Frequently Asked Questions

How does CACFP Work?

CACFP reimburses participating centers and day care homes for meals served to eligible children. It is administered at the Federal level by the Food and Nutrition Service (FNS), an agency of the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Who is eligible to participate?

  • Any registered or licensed Family Day Care Home.
  • Any non-profit Day Care Center which is licensed or holds a letter of compliance from the North Carolina Department of Human Resources.
  • Any for-profit Day Care Center that is licensed and at least 25% of enrolled participants are eligible by income under the USDA guidelines.

Who does CACFP Serve?

Children 12 and younger are eligible to participate in the program. Approved facilities and providers can receive reimbursement for up to 2 meals and 1 snack or 2 snacks and 1 meal each day. Some adult care centers qualify.

How much reimbursement will you receive?

Home child care providers receive monthly checks based on the number of meals and snacks served to each child per day. The rate at which home providers are reimbursed is determined by geographic data, their household income, and/or the household income of the children in their care. Child day care centers rate of reimbursement is determined by the income of enrolled participants.

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English. To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by: (l) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; (2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or (3) This institution is an equal opportunity provider.